LIVE NIRVANA BOOTOGRAPHY:
Label: No Label
Catalog Number: (No Catalog Number)
Runtime: 56:23 / 15 Tracks
Matrix: N 17490
Floyd The Barber
About A Girl
Been A Son
Live Nirvana Bootography Rating: F 08%
Live Nirvana Bootography Review:
This is the best commercially available version of the 4/17/90 performance you will find and its full of clicks!. The sound quality is good - not the soundboard that is advertised on the cover, but not too far off which makes it all the more sad that this disc is defective. I am in possession of an ANA2 > CDR recording from the same source this CD is derived and have found that it is slightly better, but more importantly its error-free.
The show features mostly songs found on Bleach with a couple of Nevermind songs and a smattering of tunes found on Incesticide - it's a good mix. Krist makes a few comments after Big Cheese about "smelling something," and makes some hilarious commentary on drugs and drug users. The band (or at least Krist) sounds in good spirits. The show is excellent and Chad Channing (who was coming to the end of his Nirvana career) plays as hard as you'll find in any other performance.
The artwork is striking and very crisp.
This disc was first discovered by the Nirvana Bootography in Japan in November of 2000.
* Danik Leclerc informed me that the title is French and translates to "Masturbate Yourself." Notice a trend with these profane French bootleg titles?
Rating: 91% - Submitted by bill rice on 2001.06.14 06:54:28 PM
This is a hilarious show marred by an average audience recording. The "soundboard quality" advertised on the cover is a definite pipe dream. Don't get me wrong, for an audience recording this isn't too bad, but it's definitely NOT a soundboard. Some parts are overdriven or "static-y" because of the recording. If it wasn't for the dialogue I wouldn't recommend this to the casual collector. As it stands, this is a good disc to own but not a great one.
1) The disc starts off with Krist saying, "it's Don Cornelios and you're gonna go for a ride on the Sooooouuuul Train!" Then Krist and Kurt jam a little. Kurt says, "no that's Jethro Bodine!" There's an extended intro to SCHOOL like they played at many pre-Nevermind shows. I like this one a lot better, though, because Kurt doesn't scream during it.
2) They play SCHOOL, of course. Here is one instance where the vocals become overdriven because of the recording. It's a shame. After the song, Kurt says "thank you" in a funny voice, like he's in pain or trying to use the bathroom. ;)
3) Next is FLOYD THE BARBER. They play with a lot of passion on this song. It sounds great.
4) Then they play LOVE BUZZ. After the song, Krist launches into a humorous little speech, one of many for this show. He starts off by announcing that they've "got a new song for ya! It could be on our next record." Someone in the audience yells out for Negative Creep, to which Krist replies, "What do you think I am, Neil Shawn or something? Where do you think you're at, the Coliseum? Smoke a joint and drink some red wine and drive away in your muscle car."
5) They launch into DIVE. This is a blistering performance of this song. They fool around a little after the song, probably just tuning up or something.
6) Next up is SCOFF, and another blistering performance it is. At one point, it sounds like Kurt says, "in your lies I'm not worth it." But i could just be hearing things. ;) It's a shame the version on Bleach isn't this powerful. Kurt's scream at the end is spine-tingling.
7) They play ABOUT A GIRL next. This sounds faster than the studio version. I love the guitar on this one. After the song, Kurt says "this is another new song."
8) They play IMODIUM next though the lyrics aren't that different from what became BREED. The lines are a little mixed up though. At the end of the song, Krist says "you know sometimes I just don't know how to begin to thank you." Then it sounds like he says something about Sub Pop 200 but I couldn't make it out. Anyone know what he said?
9) Spank Thru is played next. This one also sounds faster than the studio version. Kurt's scream of "yeah!" after the first verse (or intro, however you want to look at it) causes static in the recording as though the mic used to record the show became overdriven. Kurt announces, "this is another new song!"
10) They play IN BLOOM. I've always loved Kurt's vocals on this song, and they sound as good as ever on this version. Great solo too. After the song is over, someone in the audience yells for Swap Meet. There's a weird drum and guitar jam on here, then they launch into...
11) BIG CHEESE. Again, Kurt's vocals sound messed up in the beginning of the song when he first shouts "big cheese!" After the song, Krist launches into a hilarious "tirade" about drugs. He starts off talking in a cartoon mexican voice: "I smell something... It smells funny... I told you kids about that stuff!... You want that to lead to harder stuff or something?... Do you want to become DOPE ADDICTS?!... Do you want to become antisocial and worship satan?" (The audience shouts "yeah!" Guess they really wanted to become antisocial and worship the devil...) Krist: "Do you want to sit in your room all night?" Then in a regular voice he says, "this is a cover song. You guys should become captain of your football team. Cuz that's the right way." Chad says, really fast, "gonna do a cover song, cover song, cover song, gonna do a cover song by a band called the vaselines!" Krist starts fooling around with his bass. Then he starts in again, saying, in a hill billy preacher voice, "I used to be just like you. I used to be messed up on all kinds of drugs. Since I found the Lord Jesus Christ my life has made a complete turn around. Talk about your personal relationship with the lord Jesus, halelujah!" Chad says, "thank you, reverend, for those nice words." But Krist continues, "send your checks and money orders to p.o. box 2001 Nashville, Tennessee." They jam for a few moments.
12) Then they launch into MOLLY'S LIPS. After the song, Kurt, in an Elvis Presley voice, says, "thank you! Thank you very much!" (What is it with all the impersonations?) Krist asks, "are you some kinda rasta man? Jah! Jah!" Kurt says something in a weird munchkin voice. Krist continues: "After smoking one marijuana cigarette Johnny freaked out and killed his family."
13) They play BEEN A SON. It sounds like maybe Chad did backing vocals on this. The chorus sounds like "she shoulda... been a son she shoulda..." with the word "son" and the word "she" almost overlapping.
14) They go right into STAIN next. After the song, Kurt screams in a womans voice, "thanks!" Kurt jams on the guitar and Krist says, "it's all just rock and roll. We all love each other."
15) They play a cool version of NEGATIVE CREEP next.
16) Kurt jams on the guitar in an almost Dead Kennedys style. Then he says "thanks for coming. Good night and God bless." They end with BLEW, of course. There's an extended ending where they destroy their instruments, or at least the drum set. Kurt plays the guitar in a "rock" kinda way, like Eddie Van Halen or something.
This is a great show with just an adequite audience recording. It's a shame this isn't a soundboard but the sound won't hurt your ears either. It could have been better but I've heard a lot worse. Definitely a must have for the dialogue alone.
"Negative Creep" Labeled As "Negative"
Other Disc(s) Containing These Dates:
My Life After Death
Please see the
Live Nirvana Tour History for more information about
the sources available for this show.
LiveNIRVANA.com | all documents, unless otherwise noted, © 2001 - Present LiveNIRVANA.com | Contact webmaster